Ben is an associate in the firm’s litigation department and health care practice group. He has experience representing health care providers in medical malpractice suits, manufacturers in products liability claims, and businesses in premises liability actions in state and federal courts.
His experience includes:
- Representing health care providers and practitioners, including doctors, hospitals, surgical centers, and skilled nursing facilities in diverse medical malpractice and health care liability lawsuits involving labor and delivery, emergency medicine, surgical procedures, long term care, informed consent, and pharmacy services;
- Defending a surgery center in a medical malpractice case; obtained summary judgment on behalf of the surgery center because the treating surgeon was not an employee of the center and there were insufficient facts to establish apparent agency;
- Defending a publicly owned medical facility; obtained summary judgment in a contentious Freedom of Information Act litigation;
- Defending a surgery center in an investigation by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office for Civil Rights of an alleged breach of patient privacy; provided a response to the investigation which resulted in a finding that the facility’s privacy policies and training were sufficient and that there was no evidence of noncompliance;
- Representing manufacturers and contractors in cases alleging defective design, property damage, and fire and asbestos;
- Defending an international product manufacturer in a product defect litigation where the allegedly defective product was purchased in Maryland, but the injury occurred in Argentina; obtained dismissal for forum non conveniens and the plaintiff did not re-file in the United States; and
- Representing businesses, trucking companies, and drivers in premises liability and auto collision cases involving personal injury.
Prior to joining private practice, Ben served as Deputy Director of Baltimore City Circuit Court’s Civil Alternative Dispute Resolution Office where he presided over settlement conferences and court-ordered mediations in various civil cases.
In 2013, Ben graduated, magna cum laude, from the University of Baltimore School of Law. In addition to graduating with honors, he participated on the Civil Trial Advocacy Team.
- University of Baltimore School of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 2013)
- Kansas State University (B.S., 2007)
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- Defense Research Institute
- Maryland Defense Counsel