Steve is counsel in the firm’s bankruptcy/creditors’ rights and business, corporate, and tax departments. He represents clients in financing transactions, bankruptcy and other insolvency proceedings, and commercial litigation.
His practice has included:
- Representing banks and other financial institutions in complex financing transactions, debt restructurings, workouts, and bankruptcy and other insolvency proceedings;
- Representing lien creditors in state foreclosure proceedings;
- Representing business clients in restructuring credit facilities and as debtors in Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings;
- Representing secured creditors, trustees, and creditors’ committees in bankruptcy proceedings. Such representation has involved motions for relief from the automatic stay, the prosecution and defense of avoidance actions, disputes on lien enforceability, perfection and priority, collateral valuation disputes, objections to disclosure statements and plans of reorganization, objections to claims, dischargeability disputes, and claims against debtors and third parties;
- Serving as an Assignee for the benefit of creditors in state insolvency proceedings;
- Advising clients on secured transactions and lien and collateral issues under the UCC, including the validity, enforceability, perfection, and priority of security interests;
- Advising business clients with respect to commercial contracts;
- Representing a plastic container manufacturer in the sale of its business through a Chapter 11 proceeding.The company was sold for more than $26 million, and all creditors were paid in full. Because of this representation, Global M&A Network selected Tydings as a finalist in “Small Mid Markets Cross Border Distressed M&A Deal of the Year” at the 2015 Turnaround Atlas Awards, which honors the global restructuring and turnaround communities; and
- Collecting and enforcing commercial claims in state and federal courts.
Steve has published articles and lectured on creditors’ rights and bankruptcy law. He is a past member of the Business Advisory Board of the University of Maryland-Baltimore County Technology Center and a graduate of the Baltimore County Chamber of Commerce Leadership Program.
He is AV® Peer Review Rated – the highest possible peer review rating from Martindale-Hubbell.
- University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law (J.D., 1977)
- University of Wisconsin (M.A., 1974) Graduate Fellowship, Center for Public Policy and Administration
- American University (B.A. in Political Science, cum laude, 1972)
- State of Maryland
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, District of Maryland
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- Court of Appeals of Maryland
- Maryland Bankruptcy Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar