For more than 25 years, Larry has successfully represented clients in federal and state courts throughout the mid-Atlantic region. He serves corporations, individuals, pension plans, and financial institutions in various complex commercial matters. In particular, he concentrates on defending public and private corporations, as well as their directors and officers, against stockholder claims and in employment litigation. He is experienced in the financial services, health care, real estate, and construction industries, among others.
Larry is an advocate for his clients. He evaluates each matter early to craft a strategy that will lead to an advantageous resolution in an efficient manner. Whether in the courtroom or at the negotiating table, he has handled numerous trial and arbitrations before judges and juries involving, among other issues:
- Commercial tort and contract claims, including check and health care fraud;
- Employment disputes, including covenants not to compete, wrongful discharge, and employment and severance agreements;
- Professional negligence;
- Franchise disputes;
- Shareholder disputes, business break-ups, and dissolutions;
- Fraud investigations; and
- Bankruptcy disputes.
He has also successfully argued appeals in Maryland and Virginia.
- Successfully represented a national health care franchisor in an arbitration concerning a violation of non-compete provisions in a franchise agreement. Larry persuaded a federal court to enjoin the former franchise from further violation of the non-compete clause and prevailed on damages in arbitration.
- Defended a regional food distributor in a fraud and conspiracy claim; the dispute settled favorably for the client.
- Defended a national assisted living facility company in a federal Fair Housing Act claim; his client prevailed on summary judgment.
- Successfully settled an arbitration of a complex dispute on behalf of a subcontractor on a government contract. The client received the amount it was seeking, and the governmental entity in question awarded the prime contract to Larry’s client.
Prior to joining Tydings in 1989, he was a law clerk to the Honorable Charles E. Moylan, Jr., Associate Judge for the Maryland Court of Special Appeals.
Larry has acted as an arbitrator for Major League Lacrosse. He currently serves as co-counsel to the Executive Board of U.S. Lacrosse, Inc., and is a founding member of the Charm City Youth Lacrosse League, which gives inner-city youth in Baltimore the opportunity to play competitive lacrosse.
He has been recognized by Chambers USA for his employment litigation practice, and Maryland Super Lawyers, a publication of Law & Politics, has recognized him for his litigation practice.
- Fordham University School of Law (J.D., 1988)
- Johns Hopkins University (B.A., NCAA Post-Graduate Scholar, 1985)
- State of Maryland
- Commonwealth of Virginia
- State of New York
- U.S. District Court, District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, District of Maryland
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- Virginia State Bar Association
- Charm City Youth Lacrosse League, Founding Board member, 2009-present
- U.S. Lacross, Executive Board and co-counsel, 2008-present
- Leadership Baltimore County, Class of 2005