Tydings has represented generations of family owned businesses in a variety of industries. Many of our long-standing clients are now in their third generation of ownership. We know firsthand that the needs of family owned companies differ, sometimes dramatically, from their non-familial counterparts. Family and personal matters can rival business decisions, and special attention is needed to ensure that all competing interests receive attention.
At Tydings, we pride ourselves on mindfully balancing the needs of family members and their heirs with judicious business rationale and decision-making. Our trust and estates and family law attorneys work closely with our business, corporate, and tax group, as well as our real estate, employment, litigation, and other practice groups to meet the unique needs of family owned businesses. We handle succession planning between generations and the array of employment, tax, and other concerns that are distinctive to family owned and family run enterprises.
- Defended a retailer/distributor against claims brought by its former HR Director, including claims for vicarious liability, negligent hiring and supervision, gender discrimination, hostile work environment, and retaliation under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964;
- Represented a family owned business in acquiring another family owned business from the family members and the estate of its founder;
- Developed incentive compensation structures for non-owner executives of family owned businesses;
- Represented multiple family owned business owners in sales of their businesses, including a construction company, an accounting firm, and a residential services company;
- Advised many family run businesses on protection of trade secrets and other proprietary information, processes, and intellectual property;
- Represented family owned businesses in the sale of their companies to national “roll-up” companies; and
- Represent family owned franchisors in the preparation of registration of franchise disclosure documents, including the drafting of the prospectus necessary for state approval of franchise sales.
We have represented or currently represent the following family-owned clients, among others:
- A. Frank & Sons, Inc.
- American Office Equipment Company
- Bob Davidson Ford Lincoln Mercury
- Corman Construction, Inc
- Corman-Imbach Marine Construction, Inc.
- The Great Cookie Ltd.
- Winchester & Son, Inc.