For 50 years, Mark has helped mid-Atlantic real estate companies develop residential, office, and commercial properties. He concentrates in all aspects of commercial real estate law, including land acquisition, zoning, construction, and permanent financing. A licensed title attorney, he writes title insurance for Old Republic National Title Insurance Company and advises lenders in various financing transactions.
Mark’s practice has included:
- Serving as regular counsel to one of the largest real estate developers in the mid-Atlantic area;
- Acting as title agent and escrow for hundreds of commercial real estate sales and loans for transactions as large as $75,000,000;
- Representing both borrowers and lenders in multi-million dollar loan transactions, including revenue bonds;
- Establishing and structuring business entities for development, tax, and estate planning purposes;
- Representing industrial customers before the Maryland Public Service Commission; and
- Advocating on behalf of commercial landowners in leasing negotiations.
Mark has been appointed a Fellow of the Maryland Bar Foundation and of the Baltimore City Bar Foundation. He is also a past chair of the Real Property, Planning, and Zoning Section of the Maryland State Bar Association. From its incpetion until 2018, he served as the MSBA representative to the Real Property Records Improvement Fund Oversight Committee. He chaired the Assumption and Enforceability Subcommittee of the MSBA’s Legal Opinions Project. He was a member of the Baltimore County Charter Revision Commission and served on the boards of many civic and community organizations.
Mark has lectured on and written about various real estate matters, including:
- Editor of chapter on Residential Construction Contracts for MICPEL's Residential Real Estate Transactions (4th ed. 2005);
- "Boundary Law in Maryland," a National Business Institute (NBI) program, (1990-1992); and
- "Surveys-Easements-Riparian Rights," a MICPEL program (1991).
In 2013, the Real Property Section of the Maryland State Bar Association honored him with its Distinguished Maryland Real Estate Practitioner Award. This annual award recognizes the one Maryland real estate attorney who best exemplifies the experience, client service, integrity, collegiality, and courtesy for which all real estate lawyers strive in their professional lives.
Since 2012, Mark has been selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America for his real estate practice. Since 2007, he has been named by Maryland Super Lawyers as one of the top attorneys in Maryland for his real estate practice. Mark is AV® Peer Review Rated – the highest possible peer review rating from Martindale-Hubbell.
Prior to joining Tydings, he was a member of the firm of Kaplan, Heyman, Greenberg, Engelman & Belgrad, P.A.
- University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law (J.D., 1967)
- Union College (B.A., 1964)
- State of Maryland
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Maryland
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Maryland Land Title Association
- American Bar Association
- Maryland State Bar Association, Real Property Section, past chair of Real Property Section Council, past chair of Assumption and Enforceability Subcommittee of the Legal Opinions Project, member, Real Property Records Improvement Fund Oversight Committee
- Maryland Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Bar Association of Baltimore City
- Baltimore Bar Foundation, Fellow and Trustee
- Baltimore County Bar Association
- Baltimore County Charter Revision Commission, member