Developers, investors, lenders, and corporations of all sizes turn to Tydings’ real estate practice group for responsive representation informed by decades of experience in the local and regional commercial real estate market. We pride ourselves in our breadth of industry knowledge, our quick response time, and our sensitivity to clients’ budgets.
Our real estate clients include local, regional, and national developers, retailers, pension fund investors, and bank and insurance company lenders. Though most of our work is in the mid-Atlantic region, we handle transactions nationwide.
Land Use and Administrative Law
In any real estate venture, the myriad of land use regulations and administrative agency requirements can be daunting. At Tydings we guide clients seamlessly through the complex approvals processes involved in local permitting, plan approvals, and zoning ordinances, including special exceptions, variances, conditional uses, and re-zoning approvals. Our strong relationships with local and state officials at all levels enable us to meet our clients’ objectives with the utmost efficiency.
Real Estate Transactions
We represent property owners in all types of commercial and residential projects and at all stages of real estate development, from feasibility and acquisition, to zoning and financing, to sale, leasing, and management. In each transaction, we work closely with brokers, underwriters, government agencies, and construction professionals to complete deals on time and on budget. For experienced real estate professionals, we take an advisory role.
Our real estate group assists clients with:
- Acquiring and disposing of raw land and operating properties;
- Commercial and retail leasing on behalf of landlords and tenants;
- Construction and permanent financing;
- Creating condominium and common ownership associations and regimes;
- Zoning, land use, and administrative processes;
- Construction and architectural agreements;
- Title insurance;
- Obtaining permits, zoning, and approvals for installation of telecommunication facilities;
- Property management and brokerage; and
- Workouts of troubled real estate projects.
Services to Lenders and Investors
Banks and other financial institutions rely on us to handle real estate matters. We assist with lending and ownership activities, computerized and customized document preparation, and due diligence review.
Additionally, our bankruptcy team has extensive experience handling commercial real estate loan workouts on behalf of lenders. For more information on our bankruptcy/creditors’ rights practice, visit Bankruptcy/Creditors' Rights.
Given our strong national reputation for real estate litigation, we are often asked to handle joint venture, lender/creditor, construction, and leasing disputes. We also handle real estate-related products liability and environmental matters.
From negotiating contracts to structuring financing to litigating complex claims, our experience in construction matters is vast. Our clients include developers, contractors, subcontractors, architects, and suppliers, and range from Fortune 500 companies to regional and local businesses. In federal and state courts, and before local boards of contract appeals and other agencies, we have successfully litigated surety claims, mechanics’ liens, and a variety of other matters. For more information about our construction law practice, visit Construction Law.
At Tydings we have represented wireless communication companies, major landline carriers, Internet service providers, and other companies in the telecommunications industry who have real estate requirements unique to their industry. We deal not only with their general business concerns but are also with every stage of site selection.
We have handled feasibility analyses, leasing, zoning, permitting, construction, and start up. We have long-standing relationships with site acquisition companies, civil and radio frequency engineers, appraisers, land planners, environmental consultants, government agencies, and other entities that can assist telecom companies in setting up and expanding operations.
- Represented one of the world’s largest pension funds in litigation involving ownership interests in a real estate portfolio valued at more than $500 million;
- Represented developers, contractors, and subcontractors in construction claims including contract claims, mechanics’ lien claims, Miller Act, and Little Miller Act claims;
- Represented multiple clients in the acquisition and financing of residential and commercial real estate, including existing office buildings, shopping centers, warehouses, and apartment complexes, as well as land for residential development;
- Assisted numerous clients with secured financings and securitizing of real estate and other asset-backed loans;
- Represented borrowers and lenders in multi-million dollar loan transactions, including revenue bonds;
- Advocated for clients in land use matters and zoning issues, including special exceptions, variances, conditional uses, and re-zoning, as well as local jurisdiction administration and development plan approvals;
- Advocated on behalf of landlords and tenants in the leasing of thousands of square feet of office, retail, and industrial space;
- Represented numerous industrial customers before the Maryland Public Service Commission;
- Drafted water planning and Brownsfields legislation with local governments and other interested organizations; and
- Assisted with the acquisition of a 60-acre energy storage facility with access to barge, rail, and truck transportation; the transaction involved the assemblage of properties and several complex lease transactions.