Products Liability Defense: Representative Matters
- Since 2001, he has defended a major manufacturer of cell phones in dozens of cases in state and federal courts alleging warranty, consumer protection, and products liability claims.
- Successfully represented IBM in its defense of more than 180 products liability cases alleging repetitive stress injuries from computer keyboards and supermarket scanners.
- Successfully defended products-liability cases in courts in Maryland and the other mid-Atlantic states involving multiple chemical-sensitivity claims, chemicals, lead paint, pharmaceuticals, toys, exercise equipment, consumer-electronics products, industrial machinery, automobiles, and building products.
- Served as regional counsel for former manufacturers of asbestos-containing products and oversaw their representation in 17 states.
- Represented Atlantic Richfield Company in the defense of a series of products liability cases alleging injuries from lead pigment.
Commercial Litigation: Representative Matters
- Represented E.I. du Pont de Nemours and Company in its defense of an alleged price fixing scheme.
- In re Mutual Funds Investment Litigation (MDL - 1586): The U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland appointed him Plaintiffs’ Administrative Chair in this complex consolidation of actions that concern allegations that mutual fund companies engaged in late trading and market timing that disfavored large numbers of investors.
- Successfully represented plaintiffs in numerous class actions in state and federal courts on behalf of investors and minority shareholders; his past cases have become leading authorities in this jurisdiction on securities fraud and the rights of minority shareholders.
- Represented the State of Maryland as the receiver of an insolvent state-chartered savings and loan and successfully tried the institution’s officers’ and directors’ liability coverage action.
- Served as liaison counsel for the competitor plaintiffs in the consolidated multidistrict antitrust actions against Microsoft Corp.
- Represented Sun Microsystems, Inc., in its massive antitrust action against Microsoft Corp., in which Sun received an approximate $1.95 billion settlement.
- Litigates significant business matters involving insurance coverage, securities, corporate governance, antitrust, and various commercial disputes.
- University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law (J.D., with honors, 1977)
- University of Maryland (B.S., with high honors, 1975)
- State of Maryland
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- American Bar Association, Section of Litigation; Publications and Content Officer, 2009-2013
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel
- Maryland State Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar
- Bar Association of Baltimore City
- University of Maryland School of Law, Board of Visitors
- Horizon Foundation, Board of Trustees, 2006-2014; Chair, 2012-2013
- American Bar Association's National Institute on Class Actions, founder and program chair, 1997-2009
- Federal Bar Association, Maryland Chapter President, 2003-2004
Practices & Industries
News & Insights